Saturday, April 2, 2011

Book Review - TRANCE by Linda Gerber

First off:  for all you e-reader people, my electronic novel Looking For Ward is available FREE on Smashwords.com and Barnes&Noble.com. Revisit a time before Facebook and Twitter, and follow Chloe's e-mails when her fiance disappears thirty days before their wedding. And if you like it, write a review on Amazon or wherever you downloaded it from!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Looking-For-Ward/Laurel-Osterkamp/e/2940011235603/?itm=1&USRI=laurel+osterkamp
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/43650

Okay. Now for my review!
Trance, by Linda Gerber, is about teenager Ashlyn, who is out-of-sorts for several reasons. Her mother recently died in a traffic accident, and Ashlyn feels responsible because she had been at the wheel. Her sister has been gone for months,  and Ashlyn can't get a hold of her. But worst of all, both Ashlyn and her sister experience uncontrollable trances where they write random numbers and glimpse images of someone's imminent death.
They've had this ability/curse since they were children, and that has made it difficult for them to get close to people or to feel normal. Now that Ashlyn's mother is dead and her sister has disappeared, she feels even more isolated than ever. Then Ashlyn meets a cute guy and makes a new friend while working at the mall, and her life begins to feel more hopeful. But when Ashlyn begins to realize that the trances she's been experiencing recently are warning her of her new love interest's coming death, she realizes it's time to find her sister and take charge of the trances, rather than being controlled by them
I thought Trance was well written and suspenseful. I honestly didn't know how it was going to end, and I thought it all came together well. It's a book I would definitely recommend to my students; it's an easy read but not without substance.
The love story subplot was a little hard to believe, but hey, I'm not a teenager anymore, so who am I to say?
Nevertheless, it was a good story and I'm glad I checked it out from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment